PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FLying in New Zealand
View Single Post
Old 8th Sep 2010, 18:19
CEM1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flying in New Zealand

Flying in NZ is brilliant- very easy to organise if you have your licence with you, and the flying clubs and schools I encountered were all very welcoming, with reasonable fees. I spent 6 weeks there a couple of years ago, with a PPL and approx 150 hrs, so a similar flying background to yours. Do use the trip as an opportunity to try types of flying that you may not experience so easily elsewhere, and to see even more of the awesome scenery than you can from the ground! I visited Wanaka to see the aviation museum and try some rotary flying, on to Kaikoura to do some mountain flying and whale watching from the air, and then Taupo on the North Island for some floatplane flying. I also flew with Sounds Air from Kaikoura to Wellington; the scheduled service is a C172 and you may well be the only passenger on the trip and therefore be offered the RHS, a headset and a sightseeing commentary, as I was. Much more fun than a ferry crossing or an airline trip if you want to get from South to North Island or vice versa! Try posting on the DG&P forum too-I was also given some good contacts and suggestions on there.

Last edited by CEM1; 8th Sep 2010 at 18:41. Reason: Added info