PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The value of a First Officer versus the value of a Captain
Old 8th Sep 2010, 13:58
Mikehotel152

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't know the philosophy of FR or EZ if the provide subtle hints or training while in the right seat to prepare their first officers for the left seat. Perhaps those pilots could shed ligt on the subject.
From the first day an FR cadet starts they are given access to a 'route to command' set of training notes and questionnaires which assume you are preparing for command from Day 1. The formal process starts at your first line check when you are assessed for command potential. You are expected to be studying throughout your first few years at the company so that you can immediately embark on upgrade when you have the minimum hours.

That learning curve is unfortunately being curtailed because of P2F. Sure, these cadets can pass a type rating and can operate the switches to the satisfaction of the company representative, but it's the FO who anticipates a problem I haven't considered who can really save the day (and for the bean-counters, fuel and/or time). You can't teach that in a classroom. That skill has to be gained through hard-earned experience.
Experienced FOs are not born, they are developed from 250hr newly qualified CPL/IR holders. I am on 500 hours on type now and feel I've learned a heck of a lot since I started this career, but I am modest enough to know that I have jack-all experience to call upon. Let's face it, the standard uneventful flights that I fly are the easy bit. It's when the chips are down that experience counts.

Does a First Officer feel he is paid relatively well or not compared to a Captain taking into account each persons experience and vice versa?
Well, I believe in a meritocracy where everyone is paid relative to their input to the money-making process. Do I do as much of the physical work on a flying day as the Captain? Yes, easily. Do I have the responsibility or stress of the Captain? No. At my company the Captain earns at least twice as much as the FO. Is he worth twice as much to the overall operation? Yes, probably, but he doesn't do twice as much work.

Just my humble opinions.
MH152