PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What is the difference between, BECMG & FM?
Old 8th Sep 2010, 13:21
jfkjohan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What is the difference between, BECMG & FM?

Dear All,

My name is Johan and I am one step away from getting my professional pilot's license converted from australian to malaysian. All the flying is done, all the hours obtained and other requirements obtained, just a CAA/ATPL exam this end of the month and, providing which I pass, will be able to breathe for a tad bit with a brand spanking new frozen ATPL license!

Now on to business.

I have asked almost all of the commanders I know, and have yet to be given a proper straight answer. I am now seeking your help to enlighten me on the actual difference between a BECMG and FM when reading a TAF/TTF.

While learning in Australia, I have never come across the term BECMG particularly when planning my flight(s). For the exams as well (ie. CASA CPL MET), Under Operational Met, I have become accustom to appreciating and understanding the FM tag (ie.WX to presume change/take place - if it gets worst of course - 30mins before actual forecast time). Amongst other rules of course coupled with INTER/TEMPOs etc.

What is BECMG?

And is there a difference?

One school of thought is teaching me that a BECMG is coupled with a FM (ie. the weather will BECOME this and that FROM this and that), another school of thought is teaching me a BECMG will only take effect if the weather worsens (ie. for planning purposes etc) and supersedes a FM.

Then there is another school of thought which says they have abolished BECMG all together. Then there is another school of thought who believe that BECMG & FM is the exact same thing.

Please, could you help me? Thank you so very much.

Regards,
Johan

Johan Farid Khairuddin.com