PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Are military trained Helicopter pilots overrated?
Old 8th Sep 2010, 12:58
Lonewolf_50

Received 424 Likes on 266 Posts
by virtue of the nature of flying the military is looking for soldiers and not necessary pilots.
Bran, having looked at this tidbit of nonsense, I don't think much else you have to say on the topic is worth reading.

By the nature of flying, the military is looking for a pilot candidate that it can train to be a pilot. I know this because I spent some years doing just that, training military pilots. In some cases, we get pilots (with civilian time, who we then train (at less expense some times , hooray!)) to be a military pilot ... a subset of all pilots.

For soldiers, your recruiting requirement and process is different.

Please report back when you have something of substance to offer us.

But the more important point was previously made: the good pilot, regardless of initial source and training, is he or she who is passionate about the craft, and who embraces it and continues to try and perfect it and learn more of how to do that every day.

Again, that is a personality driven characteristic that can be found from people regardless of where they started. The distinction asserted in the OP was made for the sake of creating a distinction, and falls afoul of the experiences of many, civil and military, helicopter pilots who've been with the profession for a long time. See also "trolling" even if unintentionally.

Last edited by Lonewolf_50; 8th Sep 2010 at 18:27.