PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Strike - Your Thoughts & Questions II
View Single Post
Old 8th Sep 2010, 12:42
Ancient Observer

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Incitement

With respect to the defence of various comments from the junta about forward bookings, there is much unexplored legal space..............a large, ill defined grey area.
What is clear is that if an official employed by the TU (ie, and FTO, not a rep) incites employees to breach their contracts, then that action is not protected, and the employer can sue the TU. Equally, if a Branch Sec., acting in their role as a Branch Sec. (whoever employs them) issues an "official" note to staff which incites them to breach their contract, then again it is not protected.
However, when someone infers that it would be a good idea to slag off their employer to their friends in order to reduce the forward order book, then we're in very grey territory.
As an employer, I would not go down the "sue the TU route" , but would take the employee - if I could establish their i.d. - thru the disciplinary route.

As an aside, the use by BA of either their own staff or contractors to find out what their own staff are doing is not unique to BA. Thousands of employers do it every day to thousands of employees. They have to as a few employees abuse some generous sick-leave arrangements.
Most employees fully support such actions, as they get fed up with the known malingerers. Probably less than 5% of employees abuse generous sick leave schemes. When they do, they threaten the very existence of the scheme. To obtain data about whether or not someone is a malingerer does require detailed investigation.
IMHO the ranting about Human Rights is a load of hogwash.