PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA pax tried to halt 777 take-off after taxiing error
Old 8th Sep 2010, 11:18
Slickster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Take from that what you will, but my concern is that somebody was reduced from his position because of an event that could have caught most people out. Nobody made any attempt to hide anything, nobody was negligent
But we'd all be talking about a different story if the aircraft had suffered an engine failure, or other malfunction. There but for the grace of God go I, and indeed, them, on that day.

So, the commander has been demoted. I don't know him, or his training record, but BA felt this was an appropriate sanction, taking into account all the factors, many of which none of us know anything about. He wasn't the first, and won't be the last, and it is not deemed "punishment", much as it might appear, but BA's way of managing operational performance.

I prefer this way to many others - I believe the Emirates pilots, who tail-scraped out of MEL were greeted with resignation acceptances as soon as they got back to Dubai - that'll stop it happening again!

The simple fact is that we wouldn't all be chewing the cud over this, if it had happened in many other airlines. I bet many have used the wrong intersection at SKB, and many other airports, with the pilots being blissfully unaware. And with your resignation already accepted before you'd landed, would you own up?