PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Katana
Thread: Katana
View Single Post
Old 20th Jul 2001, 00:04
Luke SkyToddler

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
On the whole I agree with Speedbird (funny that, since I taught him to fly the things - how are you old bean??!!)

The view is fantastic, they're dead easy to take off and land, and they're much better to impress the girlie with because they are all nice and new with lots of flash kit inside, and don't look like a manky 30-year-old poor flying relative of a Morris Minor.

Non aerobatic of course: the roll rate is about as exciting as a wet weekend in Cleethorpes, and they do take a bit of getting used to on the taxi if you haven't used castoring nose wheels before. As previously mentioned the stick is no big deal, you'll be loving it within minutes and wonder why you put up with those clunky control yokes for so long. The wings are big for the aircraft size, with a low wing loading, which means they tend to get knocked about in turbulent air noticeably more than most other lighties.

One thing I'm surprised nobody has mentioned: the Rotax engines are utter garbage, and need to be handled with kid gloves if they're not going to go silent at inopportune moments. They do not take the same sort of punishment that you can dish out to a Continental or Lycoming, I have seen the unfortunate consequences of taking off on a not-properly-warmed-up Rotax and it ain't pretty. Aluminium engine blocks with steel innards you see, they heat up and cool at different rates, and the constant up-and-down of the training environment is very hard on them.

Hence the reason why my employer is sending all our ones back to Diamond Aircraft after having had them for only 3 or 4 years, we simply can't make money on them compared to the C152s, we've had an average engine life expectancy of only 6 or 700 hours (at a bit over £5,000 a throw), compared to the over 2,000 hours TBO we can get out of a Lycoming. Fortunately nothing catastrophic has happened yet while they're airborne, but. I know of at least one other flying club in the UK that's recently come to the same conclusion. There is another version of the Katana 'stateside that's powered by a Continental which is apparently a whole different ball game, I'd like to see one but I don't think there's any here in the UK as yet.

If anyone wants to buy 4 slightly used Katanas then you know who to call