PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - emergency descend vs rapid descend
View Single Post
Old 8th Sep 2010, 08:19
DFC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PF - alt window 10k, hdg off airways
1. Everyone seems to go for 10,000. Not a very good idea over the Alps or anywhere else that terra firma extends above 6000.

Remember that you are sitting there with Standard Pressure Setting on the altimeter and if enroute probably don't have the local QNH to hand.

Descend to 10,000 on 1013 when the QNH is 970 and you will actually be at 8710 (+/-) and the required separation from terrain at this level is 2000ft............unless you want to add other issues eg turbulence, EGPWS warnings etc etc into the mix. OK you can argue that in an emergency as long as you don't hit the ground than all is OK. but descending to 8710ft over the alps is not a good idea.

2. Don't try to remember what one country would like you to do. If you do then that is nice but it is not essential in an emergency

TCAS to "below" and avoid the traffic as best you can remembering that range is more accurate than bearing.........which will be easier if you don't stick to an airway centerline!!

3. Finally, don't forget that many (most?) aircraft can cruise safely at 25,000ft for some time with everyone on oxygen. As far as I am aware the 25,000 limit is based on the yellow masks used by pax........so if you have established everyone on oxygen then what is the rush to get down in the weeds?

Can't see myself hanging round freezing at 25,000 for very long if I can get down but one has to remember that a screaming dive to anything below 25,000 (away from Everest and the like) is going to have as many "not so good" points as good points.