PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mexicana Comet.
Thread: Mexicana Comet.
View Single Post
Old 8th Sep 2010, 01:13
Sultan Ismail

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ZFT

Thank you for the extra pictures of the Malaysian Comets. Taking into account the comment of Forget I am pretty certain that the airport is Sungai Besi.

A discussion with a colleague just a few days ago revealed the existence of an 8mm film of the Comet taking off from Sungai Besi. We are trying to get this onto video and will publish it when available.

The dimensions of the current Sungai Besi Runway are exactly as they were in the '60's so anyone who has a knowledge of that airfield will understand my interest. Today it has highrise buildings on approach to Runway 22 and two double track elevated railway lines with 25KV overhead catenary on the boundary of Runway 04. Needless to say the thresholds are deeply displaced.

I have never flown or even wanted to fly in the Comet but it did play a pivotal role in my early education. I had passed the 11+ exam in primary school and was called for interview to the local Grammar School where I appeared before a selection committee. The Headmaster asked what I knew of the Comet, well that was my subject and I launched into the story of the first commercial flight to Johannesburg which had taken place a few weeks earlier. I recall a centre spread of "Eagle" which depicted the cutaway of the Comet as it flew over Victoria Falls.

I was selected for the place at Grammar School.