PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Yep, safe to fly in controlled airspace.
View Single Post
Old 8th Sep 2010, 00:26
fltlt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Leon,
I wasn't "talking" anything, I found it rather amusing that the article should pop up now, that's all. BTW, I don't need the picture of the 9 thanks, all I have to do is look out the window. Or pop over to gaasi at el mirage. Then back to edwards to global hawk. Or just wait for a call to go recover a downed one.

SCLA is not the civilian equivalent of d-m, that's mojave, where Burt and the boys, NTPS and the F4/F16 drone folks are. There are a few "stored" civilian ac at SCLA, plus million-air, the airhead for irwin rotations, a p&w engine o/haul facility, a&p school, embry riddle campus and an ac painting facility, the old base golf course is still open. The marines payed a whole bunch of money year before last to go romping through the old base housing in their strykers, left a real mess.

SCLA had to remain open after the af left (F4G's), because it is an faa designated alternate for ontario/lax. Currently Boeing has 2 of it's dreamliners out here doing testing, C-17 in's and outs from March arb, odds and sods.

But it's biggest claim to fame as far as employment is concerned are the rubber-maid and snapple facilities, oh and the waaaay overpriced and unfinished generating plant (GE not being fully paid for the turbines) something to do with it being designated an "enterprise zone" ie; govt subsidized. Latest, as of yesterday, is an argument between two levels of local govt. about who has control of the funds for the place.

I'm not playing gotcha, I don't have to.

That's definitely my last tuppence. Have fun gents. Now where did I put that lost link?

Dont need me coat and hat, its 95 deg.