PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Poor Airmanship? Pilots reading non-relevent material in the cockpit during flight.
Old 7th Sep 2010, 22:17
IFly86N

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Western Airlines 2605/Mexico City, 31/10/1979

IGh,

From Ifly86N, on the 2nd:
"... my story about the Western Airlines/Mexico City crash in 1979 ... the full NTSB report, the FO was holding a serious grudge/hatred against that CA... So he was deliberately trying to embarrass the CA ... land on 23L.... FO did NOT anticipate was heavy construction equipment on RWY 23L.... All because of a lousy grudge...."
Hmmm, an NTSB report?????? A grudge listed in the P.C.?????

Where did you get this information about Western 2605 / 31Oct79 DC-10-10, N903WA, Landing accident at Mexico City Rwy 23L ???

I don't think there was any NTSB report on that mishap in MEXICO. I only found that Mexican AAR: Crew failed to make the standard altitude call-outs during the approach. \\ P.C. = Non compliance with meteorological/approach minima, failure to comply with ops procedures during instrument approach, landing on a closed runway.
I can't recite my original source material right now because I'm away from home. You are correct in assuming that current Internet searches won't lead you to the correct analysis of this accident.

I did a long study of WA 2605 as part of an in-depth CRM course in college twelve years ago.

Buzz me next week (as a reminder) and I'll dig up (from my archives) all that I have on this accident. Can't do it now as I'm sitting in a hotel in BAH drinking the amber nectar from the green bottle(s) all during Ramadan.

Bottom line remains: The FO had it out for the CA, and the result was not happy.

Not trying to evade you; but followup later.

Thanks.