PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - English Language Proficiency
View Single Post
Old 7th Sep 2010, 15:44
oshkosh99

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
US PPL English proficiency sufficient for German PPL?

Sorry, just came across that thread.

I have a 5 year old plastic US PPL copy (original US PPL dates back to 1982) with IFR and SES, current BFR, but without any mentioning of language proficiency.

If I now send in the 2$ and have a replacement certificate issued with the English language proficiency mentioned on the certificate, how long will this be valid? Also only a couple of years like abroad or for life? I haven't heard of anyone having to take an English test in the US yet, so I guess this will be valid for as long as my US PPL is valid, i.e. life. Or maybe I have to send in 2bucks every 4 years to get a new copy, still not too bad compared to the following.

So then here my second question:
As I live part time back in my old home in Germany I also have a German PPL acquired independently (not based on the US PPL) back in 1982 and kept current until now. For that licence to allow me to fly in Europe and talking English on the radio after Dec 2010, I now would have to take one of those stupid English language proficiency tests in Germany, costing a lot and being a hassle. Level 6 they only offer in some cities far away from my home, and level 5 costs so much you can do 4 times a level 4 and still be cheaper. For info I have been quoted almost 400€ for the level 5 test and almost 100€ for level 4.

So with the language profiency according to level 4 confirmed on my US PPL would this not be sufficient, as long as I carry both licences with me when flying a German registered plane in Europe??
Or would it be like the medical where I do have to have a German medical in addition to the US medical in order to operate under the rules of the German PPL?

Thanks for answering!