PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA pax tried to halt 777 take-off after taxiing error
Old 7th Sep 2010, 09:28
tflier

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Now, I might have missed this as a previous comment...normally do.
But when lning up it is beholden of both pilots to check that their end of the runway and approach is clear of any 'unexpected' traffic. Would this not then highlight the point that there seems to be an awful lot of runway behind us?
Now would then be the time to troubleshoot. To try and rectify this scenario by standing on the brakes when you perceive the runway to be too short ahead should trigger at the very least some sort of doubt that what you have done is incorrect. Now think about it for a few seconds and put it right.
A training captain I used to fly with, told me that a mistake is never made if it is rectified in time, that is how we learn. Wise words from someone wiser than I'll be. Also, he was the first guy to tell me that 'if there is ever any doubt....then there is no doubt' as we are again beholden to put it right.
None of us are perfect that's why there are two of us, and in a perfect world..three. I make mistakes on a daily basis, be they major or minor, but I am always chuffed to bits when my f/o points them out, and I learn a little bit more........
Just my twopenneth worth, for what it's worth.