PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Vale Darren Moore
View Single Post
Old 6th Sep 2010, 21:49
DX Wombat

Location: The Burrow, N53:48:02 W1:48:57, The Tin Tent - EGBS, EGBO
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can't post any photos as I have computer problems but perhaps a little tale from the many I could relate from the RFDS Outback Air Safari in 2003. We had an overnight stop at Newman. That evening volunteers were requested to talk to some of the local schoolchildren Darren agreed to participate. I did manage to take a photo or two but was told "Don't you DARE post any or people will think I've gone soft" He was great with the children chatting about flying and Daisy. It was his reply to the innocent question from one youngster which was the probable reason for our very rapid refuelling in and departure from Newman on our way home. "Why" asked the child, "did you call her Daisy?" "Because she's an old cow" came the excruciatingly honest reply.
I would have enjoyed being a fly on the wall at the next Parents Night when the childrens reports of the day were read.
We had an eating arrangement to suit our differing needs - I ate the veggies and he ate my share of any seafood.
Darren was a self-deprecating man who was passionate about flight safety, a great pilot who made me feel completely safe flying with him. He had a great sense of humour, was a good yarn spinner and an artist - he had a sheepdog arounding up sheep [in the style of Footrot Flats] painted on his C172. He loved his family and large assortment of animals and birds, was excellent company and much, much more. I, and many others will miss him.
Sue, I shall send you a pm. I am sorrry I live so far away that I shall not be able to attend his funeral but I shall be thinking of you all. RIP Darren I shall have some extra veggies in your honour tomorrow.