PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter EMS Issues in the USA
View Single Post
Old 6th Sep 2010, 20:30
Gomer Pylot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I generally agree with helmet fire and spinwing. Things aren't likely to change much in the US, because the god Profit is all-powerful, and we will continue to bow down to him regardless of the number of deaths. Profit is far more desirable than safety here. It matters not how many people die, crews, patients, or bystanders, as long as the corporations can make a profit.

I have never claimed that we never save lives, only that I never have that as a goal. I'm not aware of any that I or the med crew have saved, but we're far from the only ones flying. We've got a few to the hospital alive that didn't survive long in the hospital, we just prolonged it for a few minutes, and we've flown many who wouldn't have died if taken by ground. We can mitigate morbidity, especially for stroke and cardiac victims, but we rarely save lives. Again, 'rarely', not 'never'. Painting anything with so broad a brush as to assume absolutes is wrong. But we should play the odds, and look at the most likely outcomes, I think. I almost always know the condition of the patient, because I hear the scanner, and hear the patient report over the radio from the ground EMS units. I just don't let that influence me. I think I do a fairly good job of that, but I'm only human, and I sometimes have to remind myself that it's just another piece of freight.

Things are different in different countries, and always will be. The 'one world' concept is a long way off. I would prefer that things were done differently here, and more like other countries, but my preferences have no influence on anyone or anything. I just try to deal with conditions as I find them, the best way I can, and go home alive at the end of every hitch.