PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gyrocopters and Aerial Work
View Single Post
Old 9th Aug 2002, 22:55
tacpot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would say we are a long way off achieving the certification regime required for commercial operations. As I understand the situation in the UK all gyros are certified by the PFA (who only have seven or eight on their 'approved' list - some of which are antiques, some which have less than ideal handling characteristics and some of which are both ). PFA certification also prohibits flight over built up areas, crowds etc.

Until the CAA gets involved with certifying a gyro built by a well capitalised development company, there seems little prospect of the class ever acheiving it's potential. There is no obvious company on the horizon.

As a fan of gyro's, I would say it's a classic Betamax vs VHS scenario, better technology ousted by better marketing.

Ok that's probably not fair. I'm not an aerodynamics expert, but I believe that the gyro's flight mechanism is inherently inefficient at high forward speeds and so the helicopter is the logical choice for 'high' speed operation. Commercial imperative often dictate that any form of transport must be fast, for it to be commercially successful.

But a safe, certified gyro could have commercial potential for low speed or loitering applications.