PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilots of Australia - time to unite - Meeting Aug 23
Old 6th Sep 2010, 08:23
The Green Goblin

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When did these idiots without understanding of the basic concept of flying take over the industry anyway? He must either want some headlines or have no comprehension of what being a Pilot is really all about. In fact I get criticized by family and friends all the time about how Pilots are obsolete and airliners fly themselves these days. People have been oversold the automation aspect of aircraft. Once in the Kimberley while landing a 210 a passenger asked how the auto-land worked in the aircraft I was flying. Passengers used to get a real shock when I told them the Metro didn't even have an autopilot and a flight director was something we could only dream about.

I really think the public need to be re-educated as to the role of an Airline Pilot, even cabin attendants have no idea. I was buying a coffee at an airport the other morning at 9am after 2 sectors and an early hour sign on, and struck up a conversation with the said attendant. She remarked how exhausted she was after an early sign on and how she was looking forward to heading home. I remarked I had signed on at the same time and was heading off for another 2 sectors. She replied, "ah well, you guys don't do much so I suppose they can work you a little longer"

Traditionally Pilots started, ran and oversaw airlines and aviation companies. When business got in the way is when it turned to poo.

Perhaps we really should look at become major shareholders in our respective Airlines. Instead of 30k+ for an endorsement, perhaps a similar share procurement. Maybe then we would even have a seat on the board and have the right to vote out these self indulging arrogant (i'll steal sunfishes lingo here) narcissists and get some positivity back in our workplace and profession again.

Has anyone got the PR stuff on the roll yet?