PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is there a cable that connects Iphone's to your headset?
Old 6th Sep 2010, 06:11
Sunfish

Received 90 Likes on 33 Posts
Evidence? What evidence? You want evidence? You can't handle the evidence!

A little reading of the POH for a glass cockpit Cessna 182 indicates that most of the Garmin glass is there for "alerting only" and it is prohibited to rely on many of the features for actual navigation. That POH also contains FAA rules on when iPods, etc., must be turned off (Takeoff and Landing).

Assuming CASA will decide that this is a lilly livered approach pandering to pilots, I wonder if CASA might decide that these rules don't go far enough.

..So when you visit the CASR 91 project page you see this......

Key proposals

* Strict control of Portable Electronic Devices (PEDs);

* Requirement for the pilot to plan to arrive with a specified minimum amount of fuel;

* Restrictions on the simulation of certain emergencies in Instrument Meteorological Conditions (IMC) or at night;

* Altered requirement for the carriage of Emergency Locator Transmitters (ELTs);

* Requirement for cabin crew members for all flights carrying more than 19 passengers;

* Recurrent training and checking requirements for pilots for all operations of aeroplanes certified in the Transport category with an MTOW above 8640kg;

* Changes to minimum operating heights to allow flight below 500ft.
Am I cynically over reacting? Is my iPhone a crutch to allow me to avoid "real" navigation with pencil, clock, ruler and chart? Real men don't use GPS. My girlfriend gives me "strict" discipline if I plead with her! Does CASA want to get out the hair brush too?

I welcome opinions.

Civil Aviation Safety Authority - CASR Part 91 - General operating and flight rules

Last edited by Sunfish; 6th Sep 2010 at 06:25.