PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cathay Pacific Cadet Pilot Programme
View Single Post
Old 6th Sep 2010, 05:43
happyguy99

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flight Grading

Hi holdmetight - if you do the advanced flight grading you don't need to worry about CSU's as you will do three flights in a Grob G115 which is a low wing, 110 hp light trainer with fixed pitch. You will then do three sim sessions, presently these are done on the DA42 simulator, the instructors will give you the info you need to fly.

My flight grading experience:

Cathay Pacific opened up the Cadet Pilot Program to international applicants last year as they were not receiving a sufficient number of applicants within Hong Kong that fulfilled the minimum requirements. Since then there has likely been tens of thousands of applicants of which I was one.

I applied in 2009, was invited to attend the first stage interview end 2009, second and third stages in Feb 10, and final and fourth stage in June 10.

My experience. When I applied I had completed my CPL and Instructor Rating and was working as an instructor. Total flight time was around 300 hours.

Cathay Pacific have recognized the diverse experience of potential cadets and are willing to cater for this to a certain extent. Depending upon your experience, and of course making to flight grading, you will be invited to one of four flight grading processes.

Basic Flight Grading - for applicants with less than 15 hours previous experience, seven flights in the Grob G115 basic trainer.

Intermediate Flight Grading - for applicants with more than 30 hours experience, as above with an additional three flights in the Mudry CAP10 aerobatic aircraft.

Advanced Flight Grading - for applicants with an ICAO CPL, three flights in the Grob G115 and three sessions in the IGATE G602 flight simulator. (Presently this simulator is unserviceable and candidates are assessed in the Diamond DA42 simulator).

Advanced Entry Cadet Flight Grading - for applicants with an ICAO CPL and more than 220 hours (I think) total flight time, seven flights in a Socata Tobago TB10 focusing on general flying, instrument flying, and navigation.

I was invited to attend the Advanced Entry Cadet Flight Grading. My experience prior to flight grading. Total time around 350 hours. Obviously, this means I am only able to comment on the Advanced Entry Cadet Flight Grading, however my room-mate did the Advanced Flight Grading.

Advanced Flight Grading - my room-mate seemed to have much more time than I to enjoy the hospitality of Flight Training Adelaide. His flights were on basic aircraft handling and then basic instrument flying on the sim. Can't comment any more on this.

Advanced Entry Cadet Flight Grading - 7 flights TB10. I was given a folder of information to study which included:

- 1:250,000 and 1:500,000 VFR map of the area
- CR-3 nav computer (E6B users should learn how to use the computer to apply W/V for VFR X-country Nav tracks - I had plenty of time at FTA to sort this out, although in my experience if you hold your heading accurately on short legs at low level the W/V doesn't make much difference)
- Aerodrome plates for Parafield, Adelaide, Kadina, and Strathalbyn
- Handling notes for Tobago TB10
- Parafield Visual Pilot Guide - available online at - http://www.casa.gov.au/wcmswr/_asset.../parafield.pdf
- Radio procedures
- CTAF procedures (Common Traffic Aerodrome Frequency)
- Precautionary Search and Landing procedures
- Australian Day VFR syllabus

Flight one covered basic handling – S & L, C & D, turns, stalling, unusual attitudes, and a forced landing.

Flight two was circuits – normal, flapless, glide, and short-field.

Flight three was a repeat of flight one but under a hood, no stalling or forced landing.

Flight four was a basic VFR Nav with 3 legs, route roughly 180 nm.

Flight five, VFR Nav over 5 legs, included joining at an uncontrolled aerodrome and a diversion, route roughly 170 nm.

Flight six, VFR Nav over 7 leg, included joining at an uncontrolled aerodrome, diversion, arrival into and departure from an aerodrome in class C airspace, route roughly 200 nm.

Flight seven, VFR Nav – same route as flight five included joining at the same uncontrolled aerodrome, a diversion, on arriving back in the training area we then repeated everything from flight one and three, finally we repeated the circuits in flight two back at Parafield.

Candidates for the Advanced Entry Cadet Flight Grading are also expected to do the start-up, run-ups, radio calls, taxiing, departure, arrival into Parafield, and shutdown. They give you a checklist which you use as a 'to do' list. It is therefore important that you study the aerodrome plates and radio procedures.

Last edited by happyguy99; 26th Jan 2011 at 11:07.