PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Japan (AJX) B767
View Single Post
Old 6th Sep 2010, 03:07
Martin VanNostrum

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have been here for nine (long) years. With any job you will have plus and minus points. I guess you just have to decide if the plus points are enough for you; or the minus points are too many.

Until the very badly handled 'merger', both by the Japanese and the contract companies, of AJV and AJX into the 'New AJX' there were two fairly happy pilot groups each doing their own thing. Both groups are still doing their own thing together, however there seems to be no direction or any lead from the Japanese to where things are going or how. I get the feeling on the freight side that we are looked upon as the 'poor cousins'.

As for upgrade from COP to Captain. It has thus far begun around 3-4 years from date of joining the ANA group. Some got it earlier. However with the merger and some failures this looks like increasing to beyond the 3-4 years.

On the plus side the pay is not bad and increases. The business class travel is good for some and not for others (depends where you live). ZED travel is adequate. The chance to travel to different countries on days off, or live in different countries, is great.

Commuting jobs are ok for some people and not for others. Think hard about this aspect of the job.

Over the years I have thought about leaving for other airlines; but in my case the plus points for staying here were always more than the minus ones.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Martin VanNostrum; 6th Sep 2010 at 03:13. Reason: Grammer