PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Turn Coordinator Gyro
View Single Post
Old 6th Sep 2010, 02:19
SNS3Guppy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That may be, but I'd second the suggestion by Pilot DAR. If one is going to spend the money to overhaul anyway, go with the upgrade and don't worry about it again.

Conversely, for one who might decide to operate as is, a simple short can turn into a fire or cause other problems.

I worked for a corporate flight department some years ago as a copilot and director of maintenance. In addition to the corporate aircraft, several of the board of directors shared a Cherokee, which was also my responsibility. The TC wasn't working. I discovered that it had a wiring issue, not the least of which was that the wiring bundles were binding on the controls. While a fire was a possibility at the time, it wasn't nearly a concern that the binding controls were. I ended up re-routing wiring, moving instruments, and tying everything off. It came out well...but the point is that a small problem may be indicative of something unseen.

If the instrument is going to be replaced or repaired, consider going with a better instrument.

Dick Collins, formerly of Flying Magazine, championed replacing turn coordinators and turn and bank indicators with a second attitude gyro. This makes a lot of sense and provides a lot more useful information.