PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Duxford BoB Air Show traffic today
View Single Post
Old 5th Sep 2010, 20:10
JEM60

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
In fairness to Duxford [I attend one day shows for at least 2 days, and the two day show for 3 days,and have done for the last 18 years, so my experience with this is relevant.]], the last time this happened, as a previous poster stated, was 14 years ago. There have been no problems at all getting people in, at any other show. If there are mass Spitfires, plus the Red Arrows, then there is going to be a problem. Parking space is limited at Duxford, and if a huge amount of public decided to go, one person in each car for example, then it is possible to run out of room to put them. Saturday's crowd was unprecedented. The place was heaving. I arrived with no queue from the East, at 7.45. I do have the benefit of a staff pass, but this does not get me through the traffic. On Sunday, my wife was working there from 1p.m, so we LEFT EARLY at 9am, and arrived there at 9.45 with a 100 yard queue. The main problem,on Saturday, as I could see from the motorway end, was that the left hand lane on the motorway became blocked. It seems, then, in talking to other people, that the Police, not Duxford, decided that clearing the motorway had to take priority, therefore, there was little chance of people coming from the east, on the A.505, of moving quickly at all.
I always cringe a little when people make posts that say, for example 'you would think that Duxford would know how to organise parking by now', because, running four shows per annum and numerous special events over many many years gives them a damn sight more experience of organising this than Joe Public has, but other people always seem to have other ideas on how to do it. Duxford is not responsible , for example, for people leaving home at midday, driving 60 miles, and expecting to get straight in!! Have they not been to a big Airshow before? Perhaps some people would be better off blaming themselves for their late arrival than the Duxford management, who are not responsible for traffic control off their land.
So, if it is a show with mass Spitfires, and Red Arrows, arrive early, and I mean by 8 am, or face the possible consequences.