PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Are military trained Helicopter pilots overrated?
Old 5th Sep 2010, 12:00
Whirlygig

Hovering AND talking

Location: Propping up bars in the Lands of D H Lawrence and Bishop Bonner
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
but some of the threads I have read and commented on regarding the disregarding of this, and other rules, by non military shows a lack of airmanship
Not knowing exactly to which threads you refer, are these infringement carried out by civilian trained commercial pilots? If not and since the military does not have an equivalent of a PPL, then you are not comparing like with like.

I would also suggest that military leadership qualities are, by the very nature of what the military does, quite different from those qualities required in civilian life. Some military personnel would make no better a good man'manager in civilian life than I would make a good military leader in wartime.

Whilst the military may well have a rigorous weeding-out process, a civilian-trained commercial pilot who has probably had to fund the training themselves, will have demonstrated professionalism and good decision-making making in his or her previous career; with the exception of inheritances, how else would they have funded the training?

Cheers

Whirls