PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wind Triangle Vectors & Curved Trajectories
Old 5th Sep 2010, 11:23
DFC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I calculated the nil wind turn, then backcalculated the entry to the turn. Then I moved this into wind by the appropriate vector to get the entry point.

One can not use that to complete either an RF turn or a DME arc.

The reason is that while it is possible to apply your technique and end up at the exact end point in the turn, the application of the complete correction at the start of the turn (and then letting the wind do it's thing to put you exactly back on at the end) could cause the aircraft to leave the protected airspace at the start and during the initial parts of the turn.

Imagine a straight run into a 90 degree turn about a point (RF) ending up at a specific point.

If say in zero wind, the aircraft flies nicely round the turn with 20 degrees of bank. Perfect.

With a headwind, the bank angle will be less.

With a tailwind the bank angle will be more.

In all 3 cases thus far the aircraft will follow the exact same ground track from the start to the finish of the turn.

----

Now let's try your idea.

Again in zero wind, the aircraft flies nicele round the turn with 20 degrees of bank. Perfect.

Now with a headwind, you delay the start of the turn which is again completed with 20 degrees of bank and thanks to the late start you end up finishing the turn at the exact end point.

However, by delaying the turn, the ground track will not be the same as the no wind case and thus will not initially follow the required procedure.

With a tailwind, you will start the turn early and again maintain 20 degrees angle of bank which thanks to the wind will cause you to end the turn at the exact end point.

in this case, by starting the turn early the ground track will not be the same as the no wind case and thus will not follow the published procedure.

DME arc's and RF parts of a procedure are required ground tracks to be followed as closely as possible i.e. not started early or late but simply followed.