PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Industry Travel Tips - Discounts
View Single Post
Old 5th Sep 2010, 09:59
legaleagle73

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just thought I'd share my experience of flashing my asic at airports. I should say at the outset that I fly for pleasure and not as a career.
I had flown home (as a passenger) from Singapore and thought displaying my asic might mean an easier trip through customs. Instead, a customs chap told me I was committing an offence by wearing the asic "while not on duty" at the airport. He quoted a section of the Customs Act that I later found out didn't exist. I probably didn't help things much by laughing - I wasn't laughing at him, I just found it ironic that the first time anyone had ever looked at my asic was to tell me I was commiting an offence by wearing it!

I didn't think much of it until a few weeks later I got a call from Customs wanting me to come in to the airport, so they could talk to me. I told them I was a lawyer and asked for details of what I had allegedly done wrong. I checked out what I was told and was convinced I had done nothing wrong. There are restrictions designed to stop airport workers (eg baggage handlers) wandering around secure areas when not on duty but as I was lawfully in a secure area as a passenger I could wear my asic if I wanted to. Nonetheless, in order to avoid a pointless fight, I told Customs I wouldn't wear my asic again at the airport unless I had actually flown there myself. I didn't hear anything more.

So, in summary, flashing the card around to get discounts/special treatment may lead to grief!

Cheers