PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Age 70 for international pilots?
View Single Post
Old 4th Sep 2010, 22:11
Stearperson

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
md80fanatic

Posts: 75 Is this the disease of the day? To demand a fast track to everything, without putting forth even 20% of the time and effort that the previous generation had to struggle through, whilst simultaneously demanding the same pay + adjustments?

I wonder if this sense of entitlement and gross disrespect for knowledgeable elders extends into the cockpit? Those who complain should wait their turn and be thankful that they have a flying job at all in this economy.

People like you are absolutely amazing. I suspect the airline you fly for has 20 year F.O.s and you think they are seeking instant gratification.
I will challenge you to who had more expirience and setbacks and time spent in career before upgrade.
Currenty I have 10 years as a major airline F.O. and am in the bottom 10% of the F.O. list. No hope of uprade for at least 6 years.
I came to my current job with over 10,000 hours.
I was basically fired in a merger with a company named after a country so your employees would be spared.
Those captains flying over 60 were hired on age 60 retirements and upgraded on age 60 retirements and now they say people who want to upgrade are impatient.
As for being lucky to have a job I have always had a job,worked hard,networked and demontrated a good work ethic. None of that was to due to luck.
Many of todays pilots have put in 200% of the effort those before them put in only to languish in the right seat for decades. Its shocking to see how many pilots are on the wrong side of this argument.
This is a truly a safety issue. Very few pilots I fly with are as good at 60 as they were at 35-50.
I would have liked to see them lower the retirement age to 55.
Then I could enjoy just a few years in the left seat then gotten out of this business.

Last edited by Stearperson; 5th Sep 2010 at 17:49.