PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CARDIFF
Thread: CARDIFF
View Single Post
Old 4th Sep 2010, 19:48
PeterP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Given that I do not understand the basis of your tirade, I'll ignore your ire and expand my point.

I began my airline career when regulation was the norm. Airlines had to apply for routes and fares. This then changed. So little airlines kicked off from places like Norwich and Humberside in the UK and many more from around the rest of Europe. They were possible because of Embraer and Dornier equipment. Suddenly Saab came along and life changed again ... astonishingly, Cardiff and Bristol could be connected with Amsterdam. Next there was the regional jet. Life changed yet again.

The 767 turned regional airports into short/medium haul opportunities. The 757 gave us the Caribbean and Sharm. Life changed again.

We now face yet another technological step forward with the 787/350. This gives Bristol, for example. non-stop full-load access to the US East Coast. Well done them. Yet CWL retains the advantage of a really long runway. If a/c can be operated profitably on thin routes because of this, airline managements should take a close look. Cut 10 per cent off a Bristol - New York fare by operating from CWL and you might well have a business.

My other drive is that, as most people know, I have little faith in CWL's present owners and their middle men. However, I have enough experience in business to know that their ascendancy is temporary. PD, CdR and SH will be gone soon, under the pressure of business logic.

Despite your hissy-fit, TA, I believe you would be a damn good MD for CWL. Come home from the mad-bugger-zone.