PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Do Trainers have more accidents?
View Single Post
Old 4th Sep 2010, 19:12
Piltdown Man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ShotOne has a valid point, but I do think that we should look at this historically. In the past, some of the biggest knobs you could fly with in Britain were ex-RAF fast jet jockies. Boy did they know it all. At the same time, there were also some of the nicest people you could ever wish to meet, also ex-RAF. But in the companies I have worked for, virtually every single one of these guys ended up as a trainer. And you've guessed it, the heros had more "interesting stories" that the others.

But the modern fast jet pilot is now a different breed of animal - more akin to the multi-crew, multi-engine pilot (still ex-forces) with a more social attitude. And why the change? Modern avionics and air-to-air combat ranges now means the loudest bull****ter can no longer win the de-briefing and be ace-of-the-base. As a result, we have better ex-service guys who are team players, better pilots and better trainers. As they have a more balanced personality, they don't have as much to prove. And I think this will show in the statistics - if not now but in years to come.

PM

Last edited by Piltdown Man; 4th Sep 2010 at 23:04. Reason: Spellung, agin!