PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter EMS Issues in the USA
View Single Post
Old 4th Sep 2010, 12:19
FH1100 Pilot

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts
Epiphany, you make a stronger case for two pilots than you do for two engines.

The issues you raise have been brought up before: That all EMS helicopters should be twin-engine/two-pilot/IFR capable/autopilot-equipped. Oh, and no night-VFR.

It's a nice fantasy, but it is just that, a fantasy. Here in the U.S., requiring such things (and the large, expensive helicopter you'd have to have) would mean that many communities would simply be without air ambulance service as the cost would be prohibitive. If you're cool with that, fine. But I don't think that's ever going to happen no matter how much you'd wish it would, and not everyone agrees with your viewpoint in any case.

The bigger issue is flying VFR into fog at night. Whether or not that caused this latest accident in Arkansas is almost beside the point; it would have been an irresponsible thing to do even if there were no crash.

But two-pilot crews are not immune from making such mistakes. I remember a particularly tragic accident some time ago in which an IFR-capable S-76 with two experienced pilots onboard attempted a night takeoff from a fog-shrouded airport runway. All they had to do was take-off straight-ahead with a positive rate of climb, and in less than one minute they would have been above the fog, up in a nice, clear, starry sky. Instead, they inexplicably stopped the climb, then floundered around for some time before crashing headed back toward the airport at an altitude lower than the elevation of the field they departed from! (It was hilly country in Kentucky, U.S.)

If we can keep pilots from making bad decisions, then the accident rate will be reduced, simple as that. Technology and capability can help, but no amount of technology is going to prevent the pilot from screwing up (again, I point to the Maryland State Police SA-365 accident). I don't know what the pilot of this latest EMS helicopter was thinking as he pushed along into the fog that night. We'll never know. But whatever he was thinking, we have to change it.