PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Single-Pilot-Ops
View Single Post
Old 4th Sep 2010, 11:29
tommoutrie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hello Pace

Interestingly enough the last two companies I worked for were not charged any excess premium at all for single pilot operations. I have most of the UK statistics and incident reports for single pilot and two crew operations in jets and because of the extremely low number of incidents its very hard to draw any meaningful conclusions. The biggin hill incident and all the less serious periphal incidents from commercial operators massively skew the figures and if you were to draw a direct conclusion from the stats you would have to say that two crew is more dangerous than single crew which even I would agree is a bit ridiculous. Personally I don't find single crew ops any more taxing than two crew ops and would say that the biggest loading on me as a pilot is when I am line training or checking another captain. Also, the first few sectors line training new FO's who are learning to operate the aircraft can be a bit of a load - I usually get the FO to just handle for the first 15 sectors or so to get to grips with the aircraft and this can put a bit of a load on the line trainer.

I'm just not sure that the evidence that single pilot ops is more dangerous than multi crew ops is as clear as the CAA would have us believe. And if it was that clear I think a lot of king air operators would have switched to multi pilot operations a long time ago.

and I'm not trying to be contrary - I'm genuinely interested in the relative risk

Just as an aside.. I've done roughly 1800 sectors in CJ's. I've committed two level busts, both of which were whilst line training and both were while line training another captain and I MOR'd both of them (they were both my fault). I haven't had any incidents at all flying single pilot other than systems failures but I don't think that proves a lot because I fly multi pilot a lot more than I fly single crew.