PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Single-Pilot-Ops
View Single Post
Old 4th Sep 2010, 09:26
Chinchilla.612

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pace,
Not always such a large hike in the insurance for single pilot ops.
The qualifications and experience of the pilot also form a large factor in it, but in fairness there can be some comparatively low houred inexperienced pilots in single pilot jets as owner pilots. That also probably has some bearing on the accident rates as well I should imagine?
When an owner employs an experienced captain to fly the aircraft the step up in premium is not as steep as one may imagine when compared to a 2 crew operation.

In my opinion, two crew is not always a safer or easier option than single though, as when training a new first officer or new captain the workload can be even more than just flying on your own. For the most part though, 2 pairs of eyes are generally more likely to notice an error etc.
There's always exceptions and different ways to look at things, but at the end of the day we all just have to follow the legislation laid down for us. If we intend to cross international borders (johns7022) then I guess that means we have to abide by the law of those countries also (whether you agree with them or not).

Have a nice day