PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Toronto AIAA Loss of Control Sessions
View Single Post
Old 4th Sep 2010, 01:48
PEI_3721

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
IGh, the ‘assertive’ question is mine – is there a link between increasing number of LOC accidents (SD contributions 32%, 45% including Eastern ADI aspects) and instrument flying?
Although Don Bateman does not give a source for the data, to suggest that it could be mistaken requires strong substantiating evidence.

Within the generic term ‘Spatial Disorientation’, I would include a range of visual illusions; both aspects are identified in the presentation Understanding Spatial Disorientation

Whilst I would agree that there are many problems when investigating this type of accident, particularly fatal ones, the formal reports should not be discounted. Quite often investigations concentrate on the outward manifestations of the cause (the outcome); it may be all that remains to investigate.
As for crew recollection, remember that an illusion is the distortion of the senses, a misinterpretation of a true sensation; perhaps then the crew’s recollection is of the misinterpretation and not of reality.

An alternative view of the problem may be available from a wider range of pilots who evaluate themselves. They might consider how, when, and why there was potential for, or actual disorientation / illusion, and how it was combated. Similarly consider upsets or near upsets, how were these avoided.

Training helped? If so, what form of training, skill, and currency was most relevant?
These questions should be added to my previous ones.