PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Search to resume
View Single Post
Old 3rd Sep 2010, 20:57
mm43

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old Engineer wrote:-
So the study of the aluminum bar fracture, after reflection on the total picture today, seems to compel the conclusion that the damage at the bottom rear of the VS, in the carbon-composite, had to have occurred at altitude, prior to water entry.
... and

Bearfoil wrote:-
Although the water impact is easier to "picture" as of now, there are two things. One, the Arm36 tip may have departed at altitude, if the Rudder was subject to emphatic Torsional Reversals, (perhaps even flutter).
Which leads to:-
  1. How might have damage to the bottom area of the rudder occurred at altitude?
  2. Does the RTLU WNG at the beginning of the ACARS sequence have some relevance?
In the case of (1); vortex flutter due to an overspeed excursion could be possible? My eyes tend to tell me that the damage has both horizontal and vertical components??

In relation to (2); I am not sure that a RTLU WNG will normally be created on change from Normal to Alternate Law. Maybe someone with SIM experience of that situation can offer the answer. I have previously posited that the rudder must have been "booted" for the RTLU WNG to have been generated.

Old Engineer
's analysis of Arm 36g, its relationship with the rudder and the V/S, along with the impact separation sequence of the V/S has been extremely helpful. The new task (IMO) is to try and determine what if any airborne events were culpable along with the impact damage described by the BEA.

mm43