PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter EMS Issues in the USA
View Single Post
Old 3rd Sep 2010, 18:01
Gomer Pylot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you're in this business to save lives, you're in the wrong business. I don't save lives, I just carry breathing cargo. We may reduce morbidity, but we rarely, if ever, save lives.

Night vision goggles are great technology, but like any other technology, can be dangerous if not used properly. NVGs let you fly into increasingly poor weather without knowing it until it's too late, if you don't look under them and keep track of the unaided visibility. It's too easy to get into IMC without knowing it, and then it can be too late, especially in a 206, with insufficient instrumentation to fly safe IFR. Transitioning from VMC to IMC unexpectedly is difficult enough in a well-equipped IFR ship, nevermind a 206.

All that said, it's too early to speculate on the exact cause of the crash. Video of the crash scene shows an almost perfectly vertical impact - no trees or power poles or lines show any evidence of any damage, other than fire damage above the pine tree above the scene. There are numerous possible explanations of that, and I haven't seen anything to point toward anything more than any other.