PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Russian subs stalk Trident
View Single Post
Old 3rd Sep 2010, 15:14
QTRZulu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Apologies - took the mushroom quote out of context but I can see your standpoint on this. This I think is a station issue - either that or the execs have excellent poker faces and knowing many of them as I do, I think they would tell us if they had anything to tell.

The argument about having your ISTAR hub close to the training schools is pretty irrelevant to be honest. If this was such a consideration why do we have Valley? OK its out of the way and the airspace is favorable but its a pain to get to, so I dont really think that having centralised training and operational bases will factor into it. We managed for years without everything in a 20 mile radius and in my opinion it makes no sense to go down that route now. The skies above lincolnshire are busy enough already - we really should not be looking to add to it!

As for Sentinel, was it not Liam Fox who said they would look at all platforms and decide if the had a future. Sentinel is niche in its role and still finding its feet in many respects so I don't think it will be ringfenced. The money it cost to get into service has come and gone, what will be important is how much can be saved should they decide its for the chop!

In that respect, I don't think anything is safe across the Armed Forces this Autumn