PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PC Reports demanded?
View Single Post
Old 3rd Sep 2010, 14:43
Algol

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PC Reports demanded?

I'm not long on the job market, so this comes as a surprise to me - some airlines are asking for the previous employers last PC report (Sim Check).

This presents a problem in my case, because my last employer (a large and reputable carrier who I worked with for the last couple decades) has a firm policy of not revealing training records to third parties - even on the pilots request. I saw my PC Form when it was written up, and I signed it (it was fine by the way). I can go see my training file any time I like. But I cannot take photocopies, or remove documents.

Now the thing is, I happen to like this policy. IMHO it's nobody elses business what went on in a previous employers training section.
What next? Attendance records? Sickness records? Medical records?

Furthermore, my previous employer feels they could potentially be held liable for providing a glowing PC report about a pilot who later ends up in a smoking wreck. I can see their point.

I could pull a few strings and get the report photocopied, but of what value is that? The company won't stand over it if the new employer asks for verification. In fact they'll hang me for stealing the document!

Instead I've just spelled this out politely, and invited the prospective employer to contact my previous and confirm what I say.
I've had one company tell me to get lost then!

The stupidest point of the issue is this - these airlines carry out Sim screening. So they get to see your performance first hand. It's either up to their standard, or it isn't. Do they have no faith in their own checkers?

Where did this grow up from? Obviously people must be playing along with it - I'd never heard of it before although I've done occasional contract work over the years. Which airlines are handing over these records? Dodgy ones, or all but the one I worked for?

Please enlighten!