PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Taking responsibility for the flying
View Single Post
Old 3rd Sep 2010, 14:24
Genghis the Engineer

Received 51 Likes on 27 Posts
I believe that a syndicate checkout completed by a non-instructor should be nothing more than a flight to confirm that the new member satisfies the syndicate requirements. Perhaps some information about some unique features of the syndicate aircraft eg specific GPS type etc etc.

However, if the new member has not flown the type before or is not current or if it is deemed that training is required then the person should be refered to an FI or CRI.
All very well DFC, but firstly it's our aeroplane, and we're within our rights to insist on high standards in the people who fly it. If we don't feel that basic PPL pass standard is enough, that's our privilege.

Secondly, the particular aeroplane I have in mind right now, there are three in the UK in flying condition, all privately owned. So, I think in these circumstances, we need to ask whether any problem is with the pilot's basic flying (in which case they can be sent off to fly something like a Cub or Chipmunk with an FI in a training environment, then they can come back later), or with their ability to fly this particular, and difficult, aeroplane - in which case even if we check an FI out on type, they'll still have limited experience on it. So, we have a choice then between an FI with limited type experience, or a 1000+hr syndicate pilot with lots [and in our syndicate that's one ex university aeronautics lecturer, and one ex-gliding instructor]; I don't see that as clearcut in favour of the FI.

G