PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Computers in the cockpit and the safety of aviation
Old 3rd Sep 2010, 13:52
Tee Emm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would, as others, press hard for some formal sim training in low speed out-of-trim full power g/a handling for low-slung beasties at least for starters
I agree. But from my experience no one is really interested in learning the lessons of past incidents and accidents. I sent a carefully constructed letter to the Australian regulator suggesting the need for pilots to practice more manual flying in the simulator during cyclic/recurrent training. Included with the letter was similar recommendations from overseas accident reports where loss of control caused the crash.

The reply from the chief regulator was short and not sweet. He said that the Australian regulations covering proficiency and instrument rating tests already legally ensured pilot skills were up to scratch an that on the contrary more emphasis should be placed on automatics skills.

In my view automation complacency is so well entrenched in aviation that it is a lost cause to hope that manual flying practice will be actively pursued by todays airline pilots.