PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aircraft Engineer Apprenticeships
View Single Post
Old 3rd Sep 2010, 13:42
aviatordom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I decided to go for an Engineering course at College after failing to get onto local Apprenticeships, so that I can hopefully boost my chances when it comes to applying again.

I start next week and the qualification is Level 3 BTEC Extended Diploma in Engineering (equivalent to 3 A-Levels).

The reason for this is because I wouldn't have been able to study A-Levels in subjects such as Maths & Physics because my GCSE grades (C in Science, D in Maths, which will hopefully be retaken) don't meet the requirements. Another reason is the fact that I am more vocational than academic, I find it difficult to learn from a textbook for months and then revise all of it for an exam, which is what I would have to do with A-Levels. The third reason is because I need more practical, hands-on experience which is crucial, College would give me this.

In short, I know that any form of technical related experience helps but do employers prefer the more traditional A-Levels?

I've heard that the BA Apprenticeship scheme with Brooklands College is a BTEC qualification.

Any help is much appreciated,

Regards,

Dominic