PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Potential cargo capacity problems
View Single Post
Old 3rd Sep 2010, 09:37
buckaroo bonzai

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fair enough. When these guys "discuss" combined pax/freighter flying (and pay) it merely wishful thinking. As far as being a "ruthless,despicable and selfish attempt to jump the line", well I'd say that if the company decides to offer that it would be due to need/demand. That being said, since freighter captains are by definition already captains, they are not taking any of your slots away.

Again, I sense perhaps a bit of sour grapes. Example: FO "A" signs a contract on B scale (or UFO scale) and therefore has a set pay scale for his career plannning. During "A"'s progression he has the chance to apply for a frtr command but chooses to remain flying pax. FO "B" does apply, passes the course and is also aware of his pay scale for the remainder of his career. Suddenly, the market changes and the company decides to "upgrade" the frtr cpts to B scale. Why would FO "A" be upset? Because it's not fair? Well, his contract wasn't diminished in any way.

Simplified version: A construction site puts up a sign offering work for 10 men starting at 0800 the following morning. The next morning 50 guys show up and the foreman selects 10 and offers them 100 dollars to work until 1700. They accept. At 1100 the foreman realizes that he needs 5 more men to complete the job. If he doesn't complete the job his company will have to pay a hefty late penalty. So he then goes out in the street and starts searching for workers. It's difficult because the other 40 men have since left looking for work elsewhere. The foreman finally finds 5 guys and offers them 100 dollars to work until 1700. They accept. Should the first 10 guys be upset because they have to work 3 hours more to gain the same 100 dollars? That's what they signed up for.

See my point?