PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why are we above the glide again!
View Single Post
Old 9th Aug 2002, 09:00
Manu Forte

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MANAGP

With reference to problems at BHX, Muppet has described one scenario with regard to Coventry traffic departing 23 (although the argument is equally valid for 05 arrivals). I could give you lots of other excuses, including the perennial one of extremely cramped airspace, courtesy of the GA fraternity - don't get me started on that one!
However, if you are hitting the localiser above the glide on a regular basis, somebody's doing it incorrectly. All ATCOs are taught to have aircraft established on the loc and in a short period of level flight before encountering the glide wherever possible. If it's a case of not having been cleared for further descent and thereby missing the glide, then that's a phraseology matter which brings us to the MATS 1 limitations as mentioned earlier. We have attempted to address the issue by the use of a dedicated director frequency at most times of the day, but I appreciate this may not always be the answer.
If you wish to discuss the BHX situation in more detail - or if you have any other BHX-related queries, please drop into www.egbb.co.uk where we will be happy to help if we can.

MF