PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What's New In W. Africa (Nigeria)
View Single Post
Old 3rd Sep 2010, 08:45
Capt. Black Eagle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Monopoly in the nigerian Helo Market

Cyclicoyibo,
The only company able to step in and pick up the pieces was Bristow.
I wonder if this could also mean, taking advantage of the situation. ([Almost] demise of aero)
...an 80% share of the market was more by accident than design
Of course, Holier-than-thou Bristow did not benefit from the "accident" but only "stepped in to pickup" the crumbs/pieces for safe keeping, pending the return of Aero, Caverton from their "furlough".
...bias of the authorities
I wonder what caliber of Government does not protect its own people/companies...
Over the years Bristow has trained in excess of 300 Nigerian pilots from ab-initio and a similar number of engineers.
The money has got to come from somewhere you know? Is servitude the only way to repay? Or how do you explain why a national would have to "work over" to earn as much as his "Oyinbo" colleague?
Caverton has not trained one single pilot nor, as far as I'm aware has any intention of doing so.
I'm sure caverton would have to step up its game in the face of perfect competition, let's not be too hasty to judge an upcoming company.
I hope I do not come across to you as one who wishes Bristow exits the Nigerian market; I'm only glad that market forces can now truly determine every pilot's package.

Capt. Black Eagle
Change is necessary for growth.