PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Inaccurate logbook entries
View Single Post
Old 3rd Sep 2010, 08:21
Torres

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
"....and you know what: I don't know of any person - not one person - who's been prosecuted as a consequence of the content of their logbook,..."
I note your careful use of the term "prosecuted" Clinton. When an organisation is funded by 8 million tax paying shareholders and that organisation has extensive "administrative powers", prosecution is often un-necessary to achieve the organisation's desired outcome.

I am aware of at least one instance where the regulator insinuated (not alleged) that a pilot's Log Book contained fraudulent entries whilst that pilot was working overseas. That pilot was hassled by various CASA FOIs in every job he accepted around Australia to the point he gave up flying. Indeed, it was suggested the nexus of the issue related back to the RAAF, before the pilot held a civil pilot license.

To give credit Clinton, it was after you left the Halls of Doom and Gloom, but a number of your former colleagues were very involved.

I will not comment on the veracity of that pilot's Log Book as I simply do not know whether it contained fraudulent entries or not. Perhaps if the matter had been heard in an appropriate Court any evidence could have been tested and we may have known the truth with the pilot either vindicated or convicted, a basic precept of our democracy.

The need for clear, concise and unambiguous Regulations, together with an accountable and transparent Regulator, is long over due.

Which I think is precisely what Leadie is alluding to!

djpil. I urge caution in using "tacho time" in recording any time required by CASA. Most tachometers display accurate time only at a pre-determined engine RPM. (I think early Cessna singles were calibrated to indicate accurate time only at 2,400 RPM.) Operating the engine at any RPM above or below the pre determined RPM will result in a corresponding error in time.

Last edited by Torres; 3rd Sep 2010 at 08:38.