PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Computers in the cockpit and the safety of aviation
Old 2nd Sep 2010, 22:00
Gulfcapt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BOAC, thanks for the link to this thread from the Islamabad one; good reading here. Its a worthwhile and important topic. However, I fear the pilots who should read it will not...

Automatics addiction is a very real problem that is not limited to the younger generation. I have watched older, more experienced pilots go heads-down at the most inappropriate times. One in particular could talk-the-talk on the pitfalls of automation, yet when push came to shove he stopped flying and started typing.

My perception is automatics addiction is not a function of age, intelligence or education. Unfortunately, automatics addiction does not equal automatics mastery.

My limited experience with automatics training (I say limited because most instructors are addicts not masters) encourages "gee-whiz, look at that." The emphasis is what the jet can do without me rather than what it can do for me. It is a subtle yet important difference in perspective.

Finally, two pet-peeves: I dislike referring to the FMS/FMC as "Captain Honeywell" (fill in the blank on manufacturer) as it indicates an abdication of control to the boxes. Also, the notion that we can automate the human out of the cockpit. We are the most capable, flexible and powerful computer aboard any aircraft. So much talk about pilot error and so little about those everday things we do that make aviation as safe as it is.

Before I get flamed for asserting how good humans are, I know we are fallible. But I also know Sparky is fallible too. One quick example: My last two trips across the International Dateline made all three FMS's go goofy. ETA's were so bad I actually broke out a CR-3 and figured them manually. Thus far, Honeywell has no explanation. By the way, nothing special about breaking out a CR-3; just doing my job.

Not sure I contributed anything to this topic, but thanks for starting it BOAC.
Best,
GC