PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter EMS Issues in the USA
View Single Post
Old 2nd Sep 2010, 21:59
vaibronco

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Single or Twin

I have less than 100 hrs as co-pilot in HEMS H24 / SAR operations in Italy and so far, what I more like about the captains I fly with (former mil and civi), is their attitude in sticking to the rules, saying "No" when ops manual meteo minima are "no go".
So much noise about twin or single in so many threads. All of us (in this forum) know about differences of single and twin equipments and of course the flight crew experience, ratings and training, therefore their different capabilities.
What is missing there is discipline and information.
Set a correct "No go" minima for single engined machines and stick to it.
Somebody will reply that even with twins there will always be the one who overevaluate the capabilities of his machine.
VFR pilots also and not only IRated ones should be more informed about all dangers of IMC and night operations and try at least one time, not for training, only for demonstration, an unexpected IMC, disorientation etc. etc. and undestand that as SASless says, fog kills (and not only fog).
Correct estimation of the risk (I'm sure nobody wants to die) would keep more pilots VFR/SE and IFR/ME far from all these dangerous situations.
Moreover, when I read in the NTSB reports, I'm surprised about the numbers of accidents caused by lack of recurrent training or experience for night and/or IFR operations.
This makes me think that CFITs happens for the same reason.
Write the rules and stick to it.

Last edited by vaibronco; 2nd Sep 2010 at 22:00. Reason: english grammar