PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - C130H
Thread: C130H
View Single Post
Old 2nd Sep 2010, 21:38
WIDN62

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts
I am afraid your terminology is wrong - the All Up Weight was 175,000 lbs, NOT the "load".
There was many a long argument about how much the empty C130K tankers actually weighed, but the fuel could not physically be much more than 62900 lbs in the wings and 28000 lbs in the fuselage tanks.
Your suggestion that there could be 10000 lbs extra fuel is way off the mark. The only thing that could affect the weight of fuel was it's temperature - and we all know that that is always in the mid to high 20s at Ascension. When the nice Victor turned up a few hours south of Ascension after some time cooling the fuel in the cruise, with a bit of side-slipping in contact to fill the outboards and a decent toboggan at the end we could get upwards of 64000 lbs in the wings (don't tell Lockheed!). The internal tanks could only be refuelled on the ground and as we could move that fuel into the wings, we know that the figures we were working on were pretty accurate.
I accept that there could have been some discrepancy about the empty weight, but it was in our interests to find out because we soon started flying off a 6000 ft runway at 175000 lbs. They flew (and climbed!) perfectly well at the published speeds so I do not believe figures of anywhere near 185000 lbs. This weight has been achieved (anecdotally?), but only with freight and definitely not on the tankers where there was no room for anything apart from the odd extra crew member.
Interestingly, at the time, Lockheed's finest brains were unconcerned about us flying regularly at 175000 lbs, but they told us to be VERY careful whilst taxying.