PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 2nd Sep 2010, 19:34
cliffnemo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hope to whiz along with this one Whitebait1, Pprune window opened and minimized , ditto M.S Word. As you suggested. ‘Dunno’ what will happen when I do the same with Photobucket, fingers crossed.
Fredjhh
, but I never knew how learned he must have been!
but isn’t it also a tribute to the R.A.F education system.. The instructors not only new their subjects , but more importantly knew how to teach. They all taught from the same book, and in the event of one being ill some one else could take over at the point where the previous one finished..

This next paragraph , which is aimed at Fredjhh, should possibly be the subject of a P.M, but I hope our nice Mr Moderator will agree it should be of interest to quite a few readers.. You mention saving pages from this thread. Well I initially did the same thing, and saved pages. However as I have given all my R.A.F memorabilia to my Grandson (14) I decided to save it to a two gig memory stick, and throw it in a big cardboard box , which is half full already with exercise books photos, log book etc. I will eventually tell him to keep it altogether , wrap it in polythene and put it in the loft. I have found out that R.A.F memorabilia fetches a much higher price on Ebay when sold with other items ,information, details of the owner, etc, (provenance ?. ) Should he be lucky enough and go to university, and be pushed for cash, he should obtain a good price for it.
One of the items in the box is a picture frame, the picture showing the insignia I wore over the period. Note the wings show the King’s crown as distinct from the Queen’s crown on today’s wings., At the bottom is shown the A.T.C (Air training corps) shoulder flash.

MEANWHILE BACK AT BRUNTINGTHORPE.
As I said before , I can’t remember much about Bruntingthorpe only that we were preparing to fly out to the Far East, The Demontfort Hall, and sweetbreads. Sweatbreads ? Well my ‘oppo’ at Bruntingthorpe came from nearby Leicester and his father,worked in the local abattoir . We travelled to his house on the Norton and stayed the night whenever we were off duty. One night his father announced he had brought home some sweetbreads ,and we would have them ‘for tea’ (Northern expression) , they were delicious. It was some time after the war I decided to obtain some from the butcher, but when I found out what they were I couldn’t eat them.
Whilst we were at Bruntingthorp the atomic bomb was dropped and we were told we were to go to Catterick for psychological tests , the results would decide which trades we were to remuster to.
We were only at Catterick a few days, where we took various tests, including the previously mentioned round pegs in round holes. Etc. We had previously been asked which trades we preferred. I selected 1 Black smith and Welder. 2 Heavy goods driver, (trades I thought might be useful in civvy street) and 3 3 equipment assistant. ( The latter, because the ‘barrack room lawyers’ advised it was good ‘skive’. ) It was). My results showed I was most suited to a clerical job, despite my record as a flight engineer, and , , previous civilian occupation.. For some reason I was then posted to R.A.F Newmarket. , and remained there for approximately a month., and then posted to Kirkham to train as an equipment assistant. I will describe the epic journey on my Norton to Kirk ham next A very cold trip complete with snow.

Below is an excerpt from an email by Icare. I think his computer is probably down. as he hasn't replied to my ans wer. The email includes two photos of 51 Sqdn crews which he wishes to post. I could post them but would rather wait for his reply.

Hi, Cliff, I think I need a bit of guidance here, please.

I haven't posted any photos on PPRuNe but this group shot has been sent to me by RagouC whose stepbrother was Derek Olver.

She also thinks that John Fairr's father might be in the photo, so before I post on PPRuNe I want to ensure the photo's are as good as I can get them for clarity etc, plus ensuring they are the "acceptable" the forum.