PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Inaccurate logbook entries
View Single Post
Old 2nd Sep 2010, 18:23
Sunfish

Received 90 Likes on 33 Posts
This thread is depressing on so many levels.

It is depressing because there should be a simple clear cut answer to the question of logging time that is either embodied in the legislation itself or if not so embodied, CASA should provide a simple direction and explanation, written in plain English, of what is acceptable and not acceptable to it, supported by examples if necessary. CASA should then require its own staff to abide by that direction.

The mere fact that we are discussing the subject of "inaccuracy" indicates that no such direction exists, at least not in a useable form. I do not accept that an explanation of the matter gleaned from interpolating the legislation, regulations, orders and a CAAP (which is after all "advisory") is sufficient.

That such a simple matter has NOT been settled leads me to suspect, CASA being populated by intelligent individuals, is that CASA, for it's own internal reasons, does not wish for the matter to be cut and dried. The only reason I can think of at present for that possibility is that CASA wishes its FOI's to be able to make their own determination of compliance, a practice that to my mind is unusual in the public sector since it invests certain public servants with very considerable power that is not transparently open to review. This is not a good thing.... and, since I was not born yesterday, don't try and fob me off with the excuse "The Legislation means what it says."

The damage to the aviation community is compounded if Leadsleds (and others) allegations of witch-hunts followed by vindictive and malicious prosecution are true. I have no doubt of the consequences of conviction either. The little legal concept of "Materiality" seems to be lost or ignored by CASA, if the reports of prosecution for a Three hour historical error on an MR, and LAME loss of licence are to be believed, which also begs the question of whether Qantas or VB have ever been prosecuted for similar errors.

At a personal level, I have now realised that my logbook, which should be a treasured possession, is actually a millstone around my neck.

My logbook contains errors, going back to early student days that were corrected by the liberal application of "white out". It is "mostly" correct, in that I cannot guarantee that simple "finger trouble" has not intervened, but there is at least one entry where I've conflated about Five flights over a weeks tour into one sixteen hour entry. Individual flights have always been recorded from Hobbes engine hours, which I believe are a reasonable facsimile of what CASA apparently wants because, since I'm paying for them, the aircraft is moving pretty soon after start up.

To put it another way, each page on my logbook should have the words "E and OE accepted" printed on it like most invoices.

The prospect of a detailed logbook analysis by an unsympathetic FOI, perhaps following an accident, does not exactly thrill me. I've already indicated on Pprune (http://www.pprune.org/dg-p-general-a...t-medical.html) that I am far from thrilled by the bureaucracy and infighting that appears be going on and that is making the holding of a PPL considerably less attractive than it should be.

I can put up with most things and cope with most uncertainties, but the ongoing reports of Aviation related maladministration and capricious prosecution, coupled with the far reaching consequences of such behaviour as depicted in this thread, are one more reason to give the game away permanently. The log book? I'll burn it.