PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Search to resume
View Single Post
Old 2nd Sep 2010, 14:53
bearfoil

Old Engineer

Thank you for that analysis, it clears up, and frames, the discussion; it breaks the dam of understanding. I have been trying to crack it with a feather. I build, and the kind of language you use I have difficulty in framing.

The hinges are best described as "pivot" hinges, their mount is rotated 90 degrees from a butt hinge, where the leaves support a "pin" . Fracture at tip 36g is my working theory, what remains of the "strut" seems undisturbed, and as I have said, the bolt appears rather "unmoved" as well. Corrosion, a service life of high deck angle plants (no tail strike in the logs, is there?), and the final (hypothetical) High Altitude, high speed flutter may have sent the "tip" on the way. I still think that if the arm had been under (planned for) tension prior to failure, the Bolt would be displaced. If a capscrew, it has sufficient strength, if its face is "cupped" No one would attach a straight shouldered capscrew to a (round, cylindrical) seat. By this I mean a "saddle washer" may accomodate the joint, but the photo is not divulgent to that level. edit to say, that is not accurate, a washer would remain, and is not visible. That leaves a machined cup out of the arm itself, to ensure surface area and a tight marriage. This would attenuate the focal and linear stress on an unadorned joint. It would also mean even less cross section for the arm at its stressful monting. Perish the thought a flat Arm was merely bolted the "barrel". Impossible.

You mention the separation as two fold, involving two regimes of massive energy, divided by a stasis between. BEA makes much of the forward "flyaway" member, but has little to say about the prior, the vertical, necessary to yank the (whole) clevis from between two frames. They call it Vertical acceleration, no harm done, that is sufficient to capture a vague mental picture. For the VS to have remained uncorrupted at its roots (quite possible) the angle must be very close to strictly Vertical. The a/c had a forward component of velocity, and both together have stressed this assembly in extreme and unconsidered ways.

Without going down a trail to its pragmatic and unproductive end, one hasn't a chance of a weighted solution, arrived at by entering every dead end in the maze.

It is possible, even to be desired, to couch a mundane investigation in interesting prose. It is never (morally) allowed when the motive is ulterior, as in the Law, or in Economic gain. To sustain a popular interest in an investigation can be done. Likewise to discourage probing questions and out wait the public with a never arriving train of discovery can be done as well.

One has the resources, the others must have passion.

One can "comfort" the "afflicted", the other can afflict the comfortable

bear

edit I have re read Old Engineer a third time. Everything is in there to confidently examine all the disciplines. HazelNuts39, do you see how the stated numbers in certification can be very "soft"?

Last edited by bearfoil; 2nd Sep 2010 at 15:20.