PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is sidestick the way of the future
View Single Post
Old 2nd Sep 2010, 13:38
L337

the lunatic fringe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A-3TWENTY:

Those who like columns are those old fashioned minds which resist to all kinds of changes. Those which , left by themselves would be still flying open cockpits.
An utterly stupid and ignorant post.

Plenty of reasons not to like a sidestick, and most have to do with having been a trainer on the Airbus. The column has many advantages not least is I can see what the FO is trying to do, against how the aircraft is behaving. i.e. I can see the demand and the result. With an Airbus sidestick I cannot easily monitor that. Same with an engaged autopilot. With a column I can see what the AP is demanding, and can also see the result. With a sidestick that does not move you are yet another layer removed from the aircraft, and once again, pushed further out the loop.

Yes it is more comfortable, yes it is nice for many reasons, but it is not a perfect solution.

So I like a column, and I do not have an old fashioned mind, and I most certainly do not resist change because it is change, and if left to myself I most certainly would not be in an open cockpit.

Your post tells me more about you than it does about any informed discussion about the merits or not of a sidestick.